Saturday 11 October 2008

Tools: Making A Brush Cleaning Jar

I try to recycle as much as possible. What I've found makes a perfect brush cleaning jar is an old jam jar (they're also nice to drink cheap liquor from but don't ever confuse the two).
I like to keep things clean in my studio space, brushes especially since good ones tend to be expensive, I develop favourites and hate "killing" a good brush.
Tools: tin snips or tempered kitchen shears.
Materials: An old jar (keep the lid if you paint with oils) ; galvanized mesh 6 to 8 strands per inch (available at home supply stores. I get mine from a bee keeping supply store. You don't need much.)
Cut a strip of the galvanized mesh a width slightly smaller than the jar base and about twice the length of the base. In this case my finish piece measures 2 1/2" by 4 1/2".




Bend somewhere between 1" and 1 1/2" on either side at a right angle. This part of the mesh will become the feet of the brush holder/cleaner.





Flex the mesh and turn it sideways to fit it through the mouth of the jar which is smaller than the base of the jar.





Once the mesh is inside you should be able to rotate it and fit it into place.






Fill the jar with solvent or water to just over the bottom of the ferrule of the brush. When cleaning a brush the mesh allows you to work the paint out of the brush. If you leave the jar alone most of the pigment will settle out and sit on the bottom (more so with oil paints) and allow you to really stretch your cleaning solvent.
Note: those little yellow triangles in some of the shots are called "painter's points" you can get them at Lee Valley Tools great for keeping wet things (read: canvases or panels) from touching dry things. Allows you to paint all sides at once rather than have to wait for one side to dry and then flip. ~m

3 comments:

D.Macri said...

I use that coiled steel wool (not an SOS pad) at the bottom. it holds the settled paint down nicely. And I think your space looks immaculate. I had an idea for a while that I would get a white suit (and tie) to paint in, it might actually work in your studio, heh.

J C said...

Very informative, but I hope if you use thinner that you don't leave the lid off....smelly!

Anonymous said...

and...brain damagey