Friday 17 October 2008

Canadian Culture


This was one of my first paintings after graduating from the University of Manitoba.
I like how paintings can mark time. Significant moments can be remembered, it's like seeing an old photo and knowing exactly when it was from.
For instance, in this case I was working at McDonald's and painting in my parents basement, which might as well have been a cave.
This painting now belongs to one of my favorite painters and it actually hung in the Winnipeg Art Gallery at one point.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is a magnificent painting. A monumental criticynicism that led to a transformation in James's personal art production, giving birth to the rest of the series, including (but not only) Hillfixer, The Three Graces, and Holy Water.

shan random said...

um. is a cow fellating ronald mcdonald in this piece?

shan random said...

i mean, that's cool. i just wanna know.