Tuesday 7 October 2008

Being there.





I used my friend James's picture (not the photo here)as reference material. It always felt weird to me. I have never seen the ruins of Matera and somehow felt it wasn't right for me to paint, since it didn't have a direct personal meaning. Maybe this is just a hang-up I learned from school, I'm not sure. Has anyone else ever got that feeling?

Incidentally, now years later, it has a meaning for me. It is a painting of a good friends photo, and refers to something he/we thought of as beautiful (and hangs in his home).

(sorry for publishing older work, but I just recently moved, and don't have a new painting yet, nor a chord for my digital camera. I am very excited to paint my new surroundings, the majestically beautiful Terrace BC)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

A beautiful memory for us both. Thanks so much David. :)

VoxPop said...

great painting David, I love the contrast in colour. It really makes the painting feel alive.