Monday 6 October 2008

Flock Quebecois

Terry McCue with his painting

Terry McCue was invited to join us at the Graffiti Gallery by doing a workshop for some of the past Urban Canvas Program participants. I was one of the participants in the workshop as well. The subject for my painting was a female sparrow that I was feeding bread crumbs to. The original photograph comes from a series taken while on vacation in Quebec. The bird was very energetic, taking every advantage of my generosity and it seemed a shame to waste such a light moment.
The painting was painted on canvas, 24"x24", using gouache. The entire process took just under 3 hours to complete. Once it was finished, Terry McCue and I swapped paintings. I wouldn't value this painting as high as Terry would have priced his painting (some of his paintings sell for thousands of dollars) however I was very pleased with the final result. On the bright side, someone who admires my work now has an original and vice versa.

Terry McCue with my painting

Mike Valcourt
"Flock Quebecois"
Gouache on Canvas
24" x 24"
2008

3 comments:

D.Macri said...

Fantastic painting. I've never heard of Mr. McCue. I will check out google and see if I can find some of his work. Thanks for sharing that.

D.Macri said...

Oh, you gave us a link, nice.

Anonymous said...

Amazing painting.