Saturday 18 October 2008

random, davinci, dali & bosch.


those are my four favourite painters. in order. herself, leonardo, salvador and hieronymus... but you mentioned desert islands and solitary works.

so i'd have to go with my own raccoon painting; not because it's my best - fuck, it's neither "good" (i painted it in a matter of minutes upon waking) nor "finished" (and may never be either) - but because it's based on a dream character that i loved so much that waking up was like a death.

(if my raccoon was disqualified for some reason, i would then want david's "split" painting. a red, angsty monstrosity that he gifted me when i moved away from manning park. i've had it for thirteen years and it continues to grow on me

(whereas most paintings begin to annoy me after about a decade)).

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm the same way with paintings, it's like they have a past due date, ten years is a good run. My favorite experience is when you come across a piece you did a long time ago and haven't seen in a while and then seeing it again is like seeing a long lost friend.

TheBlueMask said...

It appears that you started with a different image.

shan random said...

i painted over a used canvas.

saves canvas money. and the shame of perpetuating kitsch.

Anonymous said...

Cool new funky template colours, etc... whoever.

=)

shan random said...

this rules.